Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 6:07 PM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] vaginal wall tearing

I know there has been discussion in the past about this but I am in a hurry to get some information for a woman whom had a positive vaginal birth that turned ugly when she "tore badly inside and out" (in quotes because that is what she said and I have no further knowledge of what sort of tearing it was.) She has had incontinence problems and sexual dysfunction for the last 16 months.  Her first OB said to have a cs (of course) and then yesterday she was told that she should not have a cs and that a vag birth would be the best option.  She is now very confused and scarred as hubby wants her to have cs and her fear is that a vag birth will increase problems they already have.
She is willing to have a vag birth if she can optimise her chance of reducing the damage if a tear happens again.
Can anyone offer midwifery woman focused care and positions etc that she could use during a vag birth?  She would have a home birth but she can not afford it.  I suggested an independent mw to take with her to hospital but that was dismissed without reason.  She is an intelligent woman and if she can read evidence to support the chance of her not having further damage caused then she will opt for a vag birth I think.  She wants to make her choice in three weeks so I would appreciate some help in gaining information and not waste time surfing around
cheers wonderful women! Hope  you can help me help a woman avoid putting herself and her baby through a cs.
Jo Bainbridge
founding member CARES SA
www.cares-sa.org.au
[EMAIL PROTECTED]