Title: Message
Isis, I'm trying to contact the midwife Lynne Pyke. Can you help? Regards, Robyn ----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 8:44 AM
Subject: RE: [ozmidwifery] 3rd degree tear and C/S

Hi Veronica,

I just wanted to pipe up in response to your posting.

I sustained a 4th degree tear birthing my daughter in 2001.  I just recently (11 Aug) gave birth to my son who was bigger all round then my daughter. I birthed on all fours, with minimal peri support and tore to only the 2nd degree..

Every OB (except one) I spoke to about my options pushed the CS route, or backed down to recommending an episiotomy. The main reason was just in case I retore along the old scar line to the 4th degree.. No help on how NOT to tear apart from major surgery or surgical interventions.. Only doom and gloom predictions of incontinence and colostomy bags..

In all my research (did so for approx 2 years) I only found small risk factors (I am a cup 1/2 full type of person) that only made me more resolute to follow my wishes.

The lady you are speaking of needs to make this decision in the future- Will she trust totally in her body's ability to birth a baby, or will she trust a doctor to perform major abdominal surgery just in case?