yes, like how to avoid that one oh!! perhaps an induction (sorry snide
comment).

>From the other articles I looked at it does appear that there is an
increased risk of repeat injury to the perineun of equal or greater degree
with subsequent vaginal birth especially if it is operative. We must bear in
mind though that it is a really small risk. When they say the risk of repeat
injury is 2 or 3 times greater than for someone with no prior trauma it
sounds a lot but the articles I looked at indicated a risk of between 0.5%
and 5% (it varied considerably between research sites) of 3rd or 4th degree
tears in women with no prior risk factors, so that would possibly increase
the risk to between 1.5% and 15% with prior trauma.

I am so amazed that this is presented to women immediately after the birth.
How devastating and wrong is that.

The most important aspect of this trauma appears to be the frequency of both
urinary and fecal incontinence that goes unreported by women who suffer
these tears. Apparently good repair followed up clinically is very
important, postnatally we must make sure we discuss incontinence issues with
women. So, I think the most important thing for this woman to be aware of
right now is that the trauma can be repaired and that we have much better
incontinence advice now than previously. Given that the extension of the
tear was due to suturing error the chances of that recurring are very low.
Ultimately though the choice will be hers for the next birth. Perhaps the
best way to frame it is that the chances of her having a normal birth with
minimal perineal trauma is much much greater than her having a repeat 3rd
degree tear. And that is undeniably true.

marilyn