Article Links
UNICEF releases new guidance on bed sharing for breastfeeding mothers-05/09/2003

UNICEF UK's Baby Friendly Initiative, with the support of the Foundation for the Study of Infant Deaths (FSID), has launched a new information leaflet for breastfeeding mothers who are thinking of sharing a bed with their babies. This is the first time that the two organisations have released joint information.

The UNICEF leaflet 'Sharing a bed with your baby' provides parents with accurate and helpful information about sleeping safely with their babies. It recognises that mothers who sleep with their babies find breastfeeding easier but also offers guidance on avoiding accidents and gives clear warnings against unsafe bed sharing. Parents are cautioned against sharing a bed with their baby if they smoke, have drunk alcohol, taken drugs or medication that makes them sleepy, or are extremely tired, as bed sharing under those conditions increases the risk of cot death. Parents are also informed of the dangers of sleeping with their babies on sofas. But the leaflet supports breastfeeding mothers who don't fall into these risk categories to use safe bed-sharing as a way of providing the enormous health benefits of breastfeeding.

"This leaflet should be extremely useful for both health professionals and parents," said Andrew Radford, Programme Director of UNICEF UK's Baby Friendly Initiative. "We know that many parents take their babies into bed with them for at least part of the night and that this can be a very positive experience, particularly if they're breastfeeding. However, we want to make sure that it's also a safe experience. By issuing a joint leaflet, UNICEF and FSID are giving clear and unambiguous information about both the benefits of bed sharing and the times when it is not safe" he added.

Accessible via www.babyfriendly.org.uk/parents, more than half a million copies of the leaflet will be given free-of-charge each year to new mothers via the Baby Welcome sample packs distributed in hospitals.

Commenting on the launch, FSID Director Joyce Epstein said, "We support the UNICEF Baby Friendly Initiative's efforts to promote safe bed sharing and we are delighted to be working with them."

For more information or to arrange an interview with Andrew Radford at UNICEF UK's Baby Friendly Initiative please contact:
Jo Fletcher in the UNICEF UK Press Office on: 020 7312 7677 or email [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Notes to Editor:

The Baby Friendly Initiative is a global programme of UNICEF and the World Health Organisation which works with the health services to improve practice so that parents are enabled and supported to make informed choices about how they feed and care for their babies. Health care facilities which adopt practices to support successful breastfeeding receive the prestigious UNICEF/WHO Baby Friendly award. In the UK, the Baby Friendly Initiative is commissioned by various parts of the health service to provide advice, support, training, networking, assessment and accreditation.

There are currently 49 fully accredited Baby Friendly health care facilities in the UK and another 75 which have been awarded the Certificate of Commitment, the first stage towards becoming Baby Friendly.

Breastfeeding and health
Babies who are not breastfed are more likely to suffer several severe illnesses, including gasto-enteritis, respiratory, urinary tract and ear infections. In childhood they are also at greater risk of asthma, eczema, and diabetes, while as adults they are more likely to suffer high blood pressure, obesity and other cardiovascular risk factors.
Mothers who breastfeed for longest are least likely to suffer from breast and ovarian cancer and osteoporosis in later life.
Full details can be found on the UNICEF Baby Friendly Initiative website:
www.babyfriendly.org.uk

The Foundation for the Study of Infant Deaths is one of the UK's leading baby charities working to prevent sudden infant deaths and promote baby health. FSID funds research, promotes health advice to parents and professionals and supports bereaved families. More information on FSID and the health advice to protect babies from cot deaths and accidents can be seen at www.sids.org.uk/fsid or via the Helpline on 0870 787 0554.