Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 8:57 AM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Compulsory heelpricks for newborns plea - MJA

For as long as I have been a midwife in QLD (20 yrs!!! Heavens, has it been that long?). Whenever we have had the people from the unit out to provide inservice from time to time, they have always asked us to fill out cards for those babes not having the test and writing 'declined' on the card. The same for babies who have been stillborn.

We were told it helped them to gauge more accurately the occurrence rates of each condition being screened for, looking at trends, such as area, years, etc.