While I think that it is TERRIFIC that homebirth will finally be offered as
a choice. I think that the way midwives are compensated for this work is
important to look at.  The system in NZ is somewhat dodgy where payment is
concerned.  I would like to see funds made directly available to parent so
that they may choose and fund their own midwife, not one assigned to them or
where couples only have the choice of recieving paid homebirth if they
choose the few midwives set up through these schemes.  This has the
potential to damage the livelihood of midwives currently working
independently of the system.

Any thoughts????????

Dierdre B.