Sent: Saturday, November 29, 2003 8:17 AM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] New models of midwifery care

Dear All
I encourage all to have their say particuarly consumers with previous homebirth expereince.

I concur with Sally and would add that I also am sad we are following a model from overseas when we have a unique Australian Model - a community based program established by midwives and consumers with the backing of doctors also but ones who understand that most women can manage fine on their own but more safely with a midwife they know and they have accepted.

The English environment of birth is not that of Australia those who have worked there know that most of the doctors there also know and accept that women can birth fine with a midwife and they do not want to interfere or come till the midwife says!!

Many of those UK obs who do not like the UK system and want to deliver normal women come here!!
In my expereince it is they and their colleagues who run our hospitals and our medical services.

I understand Justine's fears having been in the offices of politicians across the country and having seen so many services withdrawn/restricted thru the pressures of 'others' when the outcomes are fine and the midwives and women are happy!!

If we settle for less than NMAP or replication of CMP will Australian women be expected to ask for nothing else!!

Some of the  things I think consumers and midwives contemplating support of this service need to ask is how many of the women in this system will be 'allowed" to opt out of so many tests that I found were routine in NSW that few of the homebirth couples I have known refuse; eg;
12 or 20 week ultra sounds
GTT
GpB strep testing
genetic testing if an "eldery" primip or multip
How long will they be allowed to stay home with ruptured membranes?
How long past 40 weeks will they be allowed ??
Births with no VE with labours of 8  or more hours??
Vitamin K
What of the Hep B & other immunisations??

When they refuse the giudelines will their midwives be withdrawn ?
This is not the UK no health service is obliged to provide a midwife for a woman who refuses to come to hospital?
And what of the midwife who wants to support a woman who does not want to follow giudelines??
CMP is the subject & desire of  NMAP.
CMP has better outcomes than Albany,

CMP  is run by women and midwives,
in our culture of birth interventions & domination with no other options I feel we can ill afford to settle for less as a first option?
Denise Hynd