Sent: Saturday, November 29, 2003 3:05 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] New models of midwifery care

I was one of those women who went on to birth vaginally after 2 previous c/s.  I was told, absolutely not, I would not be able to have a vaginal birth.  If I had not had a supportive midwife with skills that aren't taught in medical or midifery school, skills that come by attending women who believe they can birth and work hard at achieving that dream, then chances are really high I would not have had a vagainal birth.  I think this issue is much greater than who should or who shouldn't. It's about informed choice. About women knowing all the risks and being prepared to accept responsibility.  I don't think what I did was dangerous, but many would have at the time. The support and faith my midwife gave and had in me changed who I am as a person. How we birth can affect much of lives and how we live it. I've seen it over and over.

Stop regulating and start educating!!!!!!!

Dierdre B.