Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 6:31 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] fetal heart in labour

Denise, at one level I agree with you, on another, I couldn't feel comfortable if I hadn't been checking about every half hour, or more often if the labour was really hard and fast.  Conditioning maybe?  However, after experiencing a stillbirth in 2nd stge labour at home many years ago, I do know that neither the mother or the midwives (2 of us) knew anything about it until the baby was seen to be limp at birth.    I realise that more frequent FH wouldn't have "saved" the baby because one couldn't even get to O.T for a C/S in the time it took for baby's HR to stop.  A terrible experience for us all. MM