Hi, on further thought about recent cases, mostly if the baby is alert and
feeding, I use lots of strong natural light and observe.  I did have one
baby that we knew would have jaundice because of family history.  I took him
to the teaching hospital for children,PMH on day 4.  His SBR was 310.  We
were sent home without phototherapy and advice to keep him in the light and
regular feeding.  I went back for a followup SBR the next day.. same result
and same advice.  I must admit I was surprised, but it was 2 different paeds
and a top hospital for children.  The baby was fine.  Cheers, MM