what was the birth weight and how old is the baby the general rule is if the sbr is 10% of the birth weight the baby may require phototherapy however if the baby is active and feeding there should be no problem. Kernicterus occurs when high levels of bilirubin ( uncongicated ) build up .this is very rare these days and any baby found to have very high levels would be given an exchange transfusion befoe this could occur.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: "ozmidwifery @ acegraphics . com . au" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [ozmidwifery] URGENT INFO NEEDED
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 14:50:55 +1100

Hi,

Can anyone give me some info on what levels are high bilirubin levels in newborns?
My sister's baby was tested and the hospital is saying he could get brain damage.
His score was 300?? Not sure what that means.

What are the dangers, are the tests necessary, is it normal in newbies, what is
the best treatment, preferably natural and can the light treatment cause any
problems?

He is alert, eating well and has only lost 150g in 3 days since birth weight.

Any answer asap would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Love Abby