I've been having a long running discussion about hypnobirthing on my Diary. If you want to read the responses from the US contingent of hypnobirthers check out the entries and comments that were added in February. I also wrote some follow up pieces on endorphins and midwifery care that related to this issue.

It is a hot issue for many people, but I still think that it is the type of care that these women seek out (midwives and often home birth) and the action of their own hormones (endorphins) that is enabling them to labour well rather than any learned technique. IF they want to ascribe their success to a technique rather than their own innate abilities (and pay for someone to convince them of this during their pregnancy) then that is their choice, of course.

Regards,

Andrea