Sent: Saturday, March 13, 2004 3:11 AM
Subject: Re: Re: [ozmidwifery] Hypno birthing

Is this the "Mammalian dive reflex"? Cookie Harkin a baby swim teacher in Melb who has also been involved with water births and has studied in Russia, utilises this reflex to teach very young babies to "swim" - not sure how/ if it relates to birth but if you blow on a baby's face to stimlulate it to breath in, then submerge it, it wont breath in under water (I guess the blowing probably isnt "necessary" for newborns but would make parents feel better about submerging older bubs and possibly works as a cue to the baby that he is "going under" so later, when the reflx disappears he does breath in -I did it with my youngest and he loved water/ swimming and was totally fearless and even when he came home one day at 3 having been off the tarzan rope with his big brother (into the diving pool) I asked "did you get water up your nose?" and he just looked at me as tho I was a loopy and said "no I hung on round Jono's neck" so I guess he learned not to breath in but certainly not out of any fear or experience of a gulp of water. Apparently this reflex goes away at about 4 months -probably like other newborn reflexes so this is why Cookie encourages early water experience with babies. It makes sense that it would work with babies born in water.
I must call Cookie for an explanation.

Pinky