I think the age of access to loads of different information makes us forget the basics of loving and nuturing. I recently heard Pinky speak at a Brisbane conference and the information made such perfect sense and brought me back to reality and has made me rethink my practice when I'm support parents with lactation and postnatal care. Thanks for the great lesson Pinky
Louise
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 5:15 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] "good baby" long

Hi Jackie and Pinky:

Firstly, Jackie you are doing such a wonderful thing loving and enjoying your baby so much.

I just can't believe we are still having this discussion 27 years on from when I had my first daughter (28 yrs on july 23rd!!).  Why is loving your baby still so hard??!!  When I think back to my children's babyhoods the only thing I wish for is holding them more, expressing my love more, touching them more, never less!!! What parent ever thinks "oh, if only I hadn't cuddled "so and so" so much?" ? At least I hope not. In hind sight don't we all wish we could have fed more and longer, touched more and often, etc. etc..

Someone on this list stated at one other time that the reason 4/24 feeding came into being was to get mothers to feed more frequently as at the time women were so burdened with work that baby's could often be neglected and failure to thrive and subsequent mortality was quite (very ) high... if whoever made this statement is still on this list, I would be interested in a reference for this as, it makes total sense to me.

marilyn