-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Andrea
Robertson
Sent: Friday, 16 July 2004 8:37 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Birth summary forms

Hi Liz,

I know that you are not the only midwife working within the system who
would love to take the plunge and become and independent practitioner.
Many
have told me that what is stopping them is a lack of confidence.

To help all these aspiring independent practitioners (and those who want
feel more authoritative within the system), we have asked Maggie Banks
present her highly acclaimed Midwifery Intensives workshop in Sydney in
November. This 2 1/2 day course covers dealing with midwifery
emergencies
(a bit like the ALSO Course, but with a midwifery focus not a medical
model
approach) and is designed to instill confidence, improve practical
skills,
provide an evidence base for practice and encourage autonomy. The full
details will be on the web site next week and in the catalogue that is
coming out on 2 weeks.

This might be just what you need, and  lot closer to home.

Warm regards,

Andrea

At 07:29 PM 14/07/2004, you wrote:
>Hi Jan,
>thanks so much for your post. I too would love to work outside the
>hospital system however being a recent graduate and having no-one to
>"apprentice" me, I lack the confidence to do so. I feel my only option
is
>to work overseas for a while (an expensive option with 3 children and
>partner in tow). In the meantime I embrace the wise-woman knowledge I
>encounter on this list. I have another question too. The docs where I
work
>have the fear that the cervix will close before the placenta can birth.
>think this is their reasoning for manual removals if they are not out
in
>the specified time frame. Is this because of the syntocinon given for
>medically managed third stage, or is this a realistic possibility also
for
>physiological third stage? Once again, forgive my ignorance.
>blessings,
>Liz.

-----
Andrea Robertson
Birth International * ACE Graphics * Associates in Childbirth Education

e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
web: www.birthinternational.com