From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, 3 March 2005 8:10 PM
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] newborn bath

I have to agree there.
My memories of my husband and I being "taught" how to bath our first
child (6 yrs ago) are embarassing. I hadn't ever bathed a baby before,
but to be told that today we will take you down and teach you how, it
clearly was a messge that we weren't capable. Then the instructions on
doing the head first, blah, blah, blah. My poor deprived fourth child,
if it wasn't for the school and kindy "show and tell" bathing a baby
sessions, he wouldn't have known what baths were.

I know I'm being highly critical here, and I realise some parents will
want to be shown, but really??? I also have a problem with the idea that
these babies have to be bathed at all. Babies smell just beautiful all
on their own, the "Johnson and Johnson" smell just gets in the way of
this, not to mention the sensitivity these tiny new darlings are dealing
with. Providing women with an option and explaining that not bathing
their baby all the time is perfectly fine too.
and, Yes, I know that water emmersion is lovely and relaxing, but thats
not about washing them.

anyway, my two bits worth,
cheers
Megan