Hi Lieve, great to see you on the list again.  I appreciate your words of
wisdom.  It is interesting how the midwife and her family accept the lack of
predictability.  On the weekend my son was moving to another state for a new
job & there was a family gathering at our house.  I was at a birth which was
long and complicated  and couldn't be there.  I left the hospital for one
hour to say goodbye to him.  When I apologised for not being able to spend
longer with him he said, "It's O.K. Mum, After 22 yrs I am used to it". Just
an acceptance that there was more to life than all focused on him.  One hour
was enough.  As Sally says, one can only be called out a total of 8 times in
a month.  Not much really. I have so much free time that I couldn't bear to
work shifts.  The answer is not to look at the free time as wasted, but
recouping ones energy and spending time with partner and family so that when
the busy time comes, one is refreshed and ready for it.   Caroline Flint has
the best attitude.  read some of her writings.  Cheers MM