Van: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Namens Diane Gardner
Verzonden: maandag 18 april 2005 3:48
Aan: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Onderwerp: Re: [ozmidwifery] fear clinics etc

You're absolutely right Jo. Society has changed. Women don't have the support systems around them anymore, mothers, sisters, auntys are all going back to work and more women are left alone to figure out, what is birth really about. Mind you we have the wonderful internet that they can look up everything complicated known to woman. I would like to think this is a help and for confident women this IS a good tool but for many along with the horror stories what CAN they do and where can they go?

My eldest daughter is having her second baby and decided to go down the OB track (her decision to make not mine) and at each visit he says ooooo only 5 weeks to go....scarey. I could not believe my ears. Why not say 5 weeks to go ....how exciting. Just an example of negative suggestion that sits nicely in the subconscious mind ready to be stacked with the next negative.

What are women to do then take only the classes hospitals offer? What tools are given? Midwives hands are so tied with what they can and cannot say that couples walk away in confusion, no positive tools to use. Mind you SOME hospitals are changing a little.

Also I have met midwives that WANT to control birth and don't allow the labouring woman to have choice. Sad to say this but for some it is true. I have also had one midwife at a birth that offered so many great alternatives (she previously worked in a birth centre) which was fantastic and the OB on duty heard her and ripped her across the coals and suddenly she became medical. Not her fault at all, just following instructions but my client was furious at the sudden change in attitude.

We too teach about birth being natural, birth is simple not complicated, listen to your body, but you need that woman to HAVE that belief or you are wasting your time. I also learnt about affirmations and saying over and over "I will get better and better every day" but unless the belief system really believes this is true then they are just words on a piece of paper. I have rewritten ALL my affirmations that I give my couples e.g "I relax so that my baby can relax with me", "I listen to my body, it knows what to do".

I love this list because you are all so open minded and so towards natural birth and I have learnt such a lot from all of you. As a HypnoBirthing practitioner for 4 1/2 years now I TOTALLY agree with you and in no way do we teach mind control but rather tuning in to a woman's natural ability to birth naturally and being able to support herself in the process.

I also want to let you know that an Australian program is now being trialled called "Calmbirth", geared around relaxation techniques and breathing. I agree that the HypnoBirthing name isn't one that would make you want to jump at it especially the guys.  have used the Calmbirth technique and couples have birthed with it and the women say "it is the most empowering experience I have ever had, being in charge of my birthing and my body's instincts to just do it".

The last HypnoBirthing training held in Australia last October had 26 participants and 23 of them were midwives. They must be noticing that something works with it huh?

Birthing comes from within
Diane Gardner