It was interesting to note PM was concerned about the 'poor' midwife in the back of the ambulance which is a joke because I'm sure he puts his 'poor' hospital employed midwives in the back of an ambulance all the time with women less than 33 weeks and sends them to Melbourne. I have made this trip many times myself and it is not a problem. It is part of my role as a midwife to support a woman wherever she needs to be.

Keep up the good work and remember all publicity and keeping the topic in the public arena is letting women know they have choices. Women will vote with their feet.

Andrea Q

On 20/09/2005, at 10:04 AM, sally tracy wrote:

Dear Oz mids and Andrea
I agree wholeheartedly with you we have to have  a better term......and on the day in Newcastle I proposed we stop suggesting any one practitioner is more important than another in this stuff and call the units 'co-operative maternity units'!! Co-ops between women midwives and the odd obstetrician or paed.
I'm sorry the 7.30 report was so frightful....I knew it was going to be a mild disaster  - because they were soooo determined to have Mourik in all his glory and they really wanted me to respond. When I refused  - it was considered dull television , so I was completely caught out when they suggested to me that Sri Devis transfer was a failure!!!!! Crikey   - that's the two seconds worth of the at least (three hours filming) they decided to show of my response.
Moral of the story is that we are caught in a horrible constant shark attack and we seem to always have to be defending our practice no matter what. The glimmer of light in last night program was the gorgeous women  - those who hadn't had a 28 hour labour!!! excuse me  - the Ryde women average about 6-8 hours...and didn't their babies look so alert and drug free!!!!

Honey Acharya wrote:
Here's the transcript if anyone missed it
http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2005/s1463815.htm

Cheers
Honey
----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrea Robertson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 7:48 AM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] "Midwifery led units"

As I watched the 7.30 Report last night, that dreadful term "midwifery led
unit" kept springing up. I have a real problem with this term, as you can
read on My Diary:

http://www.birthinternational.com/diary/index.html

Can't we do better than this?

Thinking caps on please!

Andrea

-----
Andrea Robertson
Birth International * ACE Graphics * Associates in Childbirth Education

e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
web: www.birthinternational.com