From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, November 04, 2005 1:22 PM
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Strep B screening

Here in Belgium is the same rule, with unknown status they start AB in labour.
When labour goes to fast they will preventive give ab to the baby. Also with a
positive test the mother has no choice and will have AB in labour. When the
profylaxy is not compleet, the baby goes to neonatal ward and gets AB.
A few weeks ago I had a discussion with a pediatrician. Mother laboured at home
and wanted  to give birth in hospital. Last visit the gyn told her she was pos
on GBS and she would have AB in labour. She discussed it with the GP who is
also homeopath and he said she could refuse the AB. She asked me in early
labour and I said yes, you can, but then your baby will be under attack :-)
I adviced her to call the pediatrician to ask for the protocols. I left them to
decide what to do and went home. Within half an hour I had a very angry
pediatrician on the line. She didn't want to discuss the thing but just to push
her view on us. I told her that she could find the info I gave to the mother on
their own website of obs and gyns. Her heaviest argument was that she studied
in a university hospital (Leuven) and therefor she knew :-)

The mother gave birth at home

greetings
Lieve