Tania

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Dean & Jo
Sent: Thursday, 19 January 2006 5:28 PM
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Subject: RE: [ozmidwifery] RE: OP

Thanks Nancy,
Having had 2 stubborn OP babies myself I lived and breathed the Optimal
Fetal Positioning for the second child.  Interestingly I didn’t get so
hung up on it the third time and that was the only babe who was OA.
Must say that there is a danger sometimes in being too obsessed with
doing the 'right' thing.

What I am interested in though, is rationale for stubborn OP babies and
the premature pushing urge.  How does a woman who has laboured in a bath
upright during all her labour overcome this problem?  I have had an
experience where one woman whose baby was LOA during the last weeks of
pregnancy, turned OP during an active upright drug free labour and then
after 22 hours turned only to have the fetal heart rate plummet
resulting in CS.  During the last 4 hours the urge to push was
overwhelming and she was 6cm...lots of swelling and molding of baby
head.  Would this be why it took so long to turn?  How do you avoid
this?  Is this common or is it indicative to a type of pelvis??

Need to dig deeper than just optimizing positions.  I know babies can
and do birth fully OP but the links with premature pushing urge is of
interest to me.

Thanks
Jo