To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 1:21 PM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] prison birthing

Do any of you midwives out there know how birth happens for pregnant women
in Australian prisons?

Are they transferred to hospital or are they required to stay in the prison
health service.  I have been reading an Amnesty report of the abuses of
pregnant and laboring women in the US (it is available through Sheila
Kitzinger’s website for anyone who is interested).  I am keen to know what
similarities exist for Australian women.

I thought fetal monitoring and a drip was bad enough-try giving birth being
chained to a bed-not knowing how long you can cuddle your baby for before
she is removed!  That breaks my heart.

Amy

  _____