Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 7:37 AM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] perineal massage

Hi everyone,

In my store we sell an organic oil by Weleda for perineal massage. (  almond oil, wheat germ oil, natural essential oils.) Many women seem to think, that if they simply apply this oil, it will prevent tears. I am planning to add some info on perineal massage on our website and also prepare a handout to give with the oil. I would appreciate any good links on this subject and answers to these questions:

What do you consider the main factors, when preventing tears and episiotomies? (other than perineal massage)

Where can I find research on this subject or effectiveness of perineal massage?

Päivi