From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of sally @ home
Sent: Saturday, 17 June 2006 1:56 PM
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Subject: Re: Re: [ozmidwifery] How long before synto is used?

You know, a lot of the time I feel trapped between a rock and hard place!! I

know that what has been said is not a personal attack, but working in "the
system" (and how bad am I for succumbing to that?) makes me, by default,
part of the problem. This I find very hard. I worked for 14 years as an
independent midwife, it was hard yakka but extremely rewarding in all
regards...I loved it. However, I was bearly able to keep food on the table,
and paying bills was a nightmare.My belief was to keep my bookings
manageable so that I could be there for all the women I worked with. In that

time I never missed a birth. I believed I was working truly 'with woman'.
In 2000 I went from homebirthing into a Level 3 referral hospital, because
it was my misguided belief that I may learn something. (I had never worked
with women with high risk pregnancies) and I really needed some financial
stability in my life. The culture shock was immense and I spent the first
few months wondering what the heck I had done. The midwives I worked with
worked under the most horrendous conditions and time and time again I saw
them raw with grief because they felt they were unable to give the care
these women needed and were entitled to.
Last year I started work at a brand new hospital in Berwick. A 'low risk'
midwifery led unit...we endeavor to work with women in the true sense, we
buck the system as much as we are able, which is often, and we bend the
rules constantly, however,it is hard given that the medical profession,
especially anaesthetists, have us over a barrel...this is where the rock and

the hard place come in. We buck the system and we are hauled over the coals
by the 'programme' and the medical establishment, we tow the line and we are

shot down in flames by people who regard anything to do with hospitals as
anti birthing women. Considering the hard work and effort we go to to work
with and enable women to achieve the experience that is their right, I find
some of what has been said quite insulting. Sure, there are midwives out
there that are more medical model than midwives in the true sense, but this
can be said for all people from all walks of life, and yes some policies etc

are frustrating to work within, but  unfortunately we can't work without
them. Working in 'the system' is hard enough, it is a constant battle and an

exhausting one at that. I am saddened by what I am reading and it just fuels

my belief that midwifery is not where I want to be anymore.

Sally