Sent: Saturday, June 17, 2006 3:21 PM
Subject: Re: Re: [ozmidwifery] ctg stuff

"if we truly support choice then surely even 'bad' choices should be respected?"

Why? Solely in the name of blindly supporting "choice" as a concept? How does this benefit Mothers and babes? We also have the choice to beat our children, men have the choice to rape women, and we can also choose to be cruel to helpless animals if we like.  Should we respect these "choices" so as to indiscriminately uphold the paradigm of choice? Of course not.  Why are innately harmful birthing choices (that affect not only the birthing woman but also her child) any different? If a Mother has made the decision to bring her child to birth, then shouldn't the Mother and babe be able to do so as optimally and safely as possible - why is the "choice" to do so by mutilation and trauma even available, where it is not optimal practice?

Besides which, do women birthing truly have "choice"? Or are the options they are TOLD they have presented to them by a patriarchal system directed at pacifying and controlling them in order to maintain the status quo and secure the balance of power; rewarding "good" (compliant) behaviour and brutally punishing "bad" (well-informed and assertive) behaviour? Women aren't making their "choices" in a vacuum and the incredible external pressures and aggressive campaign of misinformation they face strongly influences any directions they may take.  We're far too focused on the choice and not focused enough on the Mothers and babes at the mercy of those choices.

We need to stop singing about "choice" and focus on the facts; change the system, squash the misinformation, advocate for safety of Mother and baby, place the power back in their hands, and not be afraid to get REAL.  Political correctness has no place in birth and nor does beauracracy.