Hi,
Thanks for that point Andrea because I had the opposite where I had
really encouraged oral fluids and dietary intake.
I had a young primip T+3 who experienced spurious labour for 2 days,
visiting BS each day 'just in case', on the beginning of her 3rd
presentation she was admitted given Pethidine and temazepam to settle at
2030 primarily because she was tired on her feet and I suppose people
felt sorry.
Anyway I have a phone call at home 0100 she was up in BS labouring. On
arrival- 2:10 mild/mod very excited and very awake with very heavy
eyelids. I reassessed settled her again encouraging sleep etc but what
really got me was the foetal heart. The rate was already sitting on 154
baseline. Thinking needing rehydration gave her a full jug of water and
encouraged her to maintain her fluids, was given breakfast, an another
jug after breakfast was given for her -no change in contractions
pattern.
Took her case to team review and I am sorry to say but I am the firm
believer 3rd presentation to BS is a warning 'time for baby out',
listening to that message with her permission a decision was made to
augment and get her going. I again mentioned to the consultant the
foetal heart baseline being high for post dates- why?
To cut a long story short after these -ARM, epidural, IV fluids, synto,
foetal HR now with baseline 162 and Cx 5 cm when I left for my fellow
Team Midwife following me after 12 hours with her. She required Vaccum 3
1/2 hours later as the FH at rocketed up to 180 - 200 and she was fully.
Indication Foetal Distress with a summation for the foetal tachy being
she was dehydrated!
I too am a believer that the women 'know' when to drink and eat and I
really encourage this.
Any suggestion why to this scenario?
Barb