Sent: Friday, October 06, 2006 5:23 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] No Contractions

Hi Sue,
Without any malicious intent I'm again going to attempt an opinion.
I don't routinely VE anybody and niggling backache alone with looking at the women would probably indicate to me that labour wasn't established.  I would encourage her to carry on her normal routine but rest lots.
I know it's hard and once woman present at the hospital they sometime feel it's labour and they should get on with it. I am always kind but say I think your body is preparing but not ready yet and you'll know when it is.
The next VE you did you said stretchy multips os 6-7cm.  Multips os suggests she's not in established labour so  when her waters were broken ( know it was her choice so it's not a criticism of your practice at all) you tied her into an induction which is essentially what she ended up with.

Weak infrequent contractions with nothing else wrong just means her body was taking time getting ready.  After the ARM that's a different ball game.
Shoulder dystocia isn't caused by weak contractions it's the bony shoulder against the bony pelvis so the shoulders are unable to move and maybe rotate into the optimal position for birth. Nothing heightens uterine inertia after birth like an unnecessary ARM and pushing her body with IV Syntocinon.

Possibly the best way to handle the situation would have been to send the woman home after the first examination so she was safely out of any medical intervention.

Lisa Barrett