Sent: Friday, October 06, 2006 9:30 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] No Contractions

I wanted to respond also about how sad I feel as a consumer that the hospital midwives must do the lesser of two evils. Sad for the midwives who have to practice this way as it must be so hard. Also sad for the families that use this system that they often don’t get evidence based care or an expectant management approach because they don’t have enough information to say actually I am not going to have either option, I want something different. If only they knew to ask is that really necessary? Why? Another reason to have a professional support person I suppose or a private midwife. What a terrible state of affairs we are in. I truly feel for all who are involved in this type of scenario as no-one gets to experience that birth in the way it was meant to be.

Absolutely Philippa - this is the truth of the matter, women don't know that there IS another option, and we are caught between the rock and the hard place in trying to care for them.
Sue
PS - will try both the sugar water and the honey next time I have a slow labour :-)