Unfortunately Lisa, it is our hospital policy. Believe me, it is a pretty serious issue for any midwife that does not obtain cord gases.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lisa Barrett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Sent: Friday, October 13, 2006 7:38 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] cord blood gases

We do these only if we suspect some fetal compromise during labour or an
unexpected problem at birth, the suggestion that they are done at every
birth is a defensive issue and indeed I have found that the results often
support your actions during labour i.e. in not intervening sooner and I try
and do them if I think there may be a problem of some sort, sorry this is
vague.  If you are busy a good trick is to use two clamps on the cord to
hold the blood in the cord and if you take it within 30 mins and get it in ice and to the labs the results are still OK to use. Of course you cannot do this with a physiological 3rd stage but I can't think you would need cord
gases if all was well enough for a physiological 3rd stage.

It is a defensive issue to do them at all. It is only ever to cover yourself even if it's to back up not intervening. Why would you suspect fetal compromise in labour that wasn't proven by fetal compromise at birth and then what would a gas achieve. Either you were right or wrong.

If you are busy a good trick is to get someone else to care for the other women at the time of birth so you don't have to put the cord blood on ice. Better still don't do one.

If all doesn't go well and you have a baby needing resus, all the research tells us not to cut the cord, the way that a compromised baby still is getting oxygen.

To do a procedure you should have evidence to back up it's necessity. There is none for blood gas. Just as there is none for continuous monitoring. It's practice in fear and no good to anybody.

Lisa Barrett

I am not a supporter of doing them at every birth as it is another

distraction from caring for the mother and baby but it is helpful to support your care and the results can influence the treatment/care of a baby making
the care more appropriate.

Christine