Dear Sadie,

I am incredibly dismissive of policy and procedure that is not backed up with evidence based practice. I felt I was no more sarcastic than you were in your reply.

I am an independent midwife in South Australia, I have been a midwife since 1988 I worked in Britain both as midwife in charge of labour ward and homebirthing. As part of my visa requirements when I came to Australia I had to work in the system. I was midwife in charge of the unit overnight at Ashford Hospital. As soon as I met my requirements ( 2 whole years) I started to homebirth again. I have extensive experience of working with the system, and in Australia it is crap. If people don't start to question and stand up and be counted then we are going to get nowhere. You can't just use working in the system as an excuse for practice that isn't based in research and evidence.

When I was in charge at Ashford, I realise I created lots of difficult situations (it's a private hospital) but I couldn't not question argue,advocate for women's birth rights and fall into line just because that's what is expected. I know how hard it is to work inside the system and I'm sorry that you are confronted by hearing that something's that you do are less than optimal. I made my choices by being independent. Everytime I go near a hospital I have to justify myself, answer questions be judged by their standards (which are pretty awful). I am willing to stand up and be counted for my beliefs which are by the way evidence based well researched and very women centred. If that offends you I apologise.

What do you do Sadie?

Lisa Barrett