On the point of putting it in ice. Just to make sure I wasn't talking through my arse I have spent the evening reading up on blood gases. They do not change significantly within the first hour and the reading is still accurate at room temperature.

oh and accurate I don't know is the right word if you read the research into the way it's done etcetc. I should have read that before I posted. What I meant is that the blood doesn't deteriorate over the 1st hour at room temp. Lisa Barrett