Lisa, Misoprostal for PPH is used on a regular basis at our tertiary hospital. I had a client who planned to go home 4hrs after the birth of twins and the staff gave her Miso about an hour after the birth..she was not hemorrhaging, it was given “in case”.  It is also available to the CMP homebirth midwives if needed. It would only be used as an emergency drug during a transfer to hospital for a severe PPH.  Not been needed so far thank goodness.  It is used in hospitals much more extensively than one thinks.  It is “de-facto” legal;  frequent effective use in the same situation makes it so. Don’t know what a court would make of it tho.  MM

misoprostal isn't licenced here is Australia.  I wouldn't be prescribing it

if I were a GP.  When I was Working at a private Hospital  the Obs kept it

in their own possesion.  It isn't licenced to be kept at the hospital as far

as I know.  The pharmacy at the hospital wouldn't touch it.  It's not the

sort of drug you should have at a homebirth anyway.

Lisa Barrett