See this comment by Carsten on the WSPBuilder codeplex project:
http://wspbuilder.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=17921
*"The WSPBuilder do not include DLL files from Microsoft.SharePoint, this is
hard coded into the program."*
I always try and run WSPBuilder in a dev machine with SharePoint installed,
you get other neat time-saving features provided by WSPBuilder when right
clicking on the project in VS, things like copy to GAC, attach to IIS worker
processes and the build options really only work if your dev machine is
running SharePoint.
 I experience the same issue as you when running WSPBuilder on a machine
without SharePoint Installed, although it still seems to build the WSP
correctly though.

Sezai.

<<image001.jpg>>