Hey Marko,

The approach I take with setting this up in new non-prod environments is to:

Backup and restore the *ProfileDB* from production into the SQL Server of
the new environment, and also the *SocialDB*.
DO NOT restore the *SyncDB*
Use the following powershell to provision the service application:
New-SPServiceApplicationPool –Name "User Profile Service Application Pool"
–Account "DOMAIN\UPSAACCOUNT"
$upa= New-SPProfileServiceApplication –Name "User Profile Service
Application" –ApplicationPool "User Profile Service Application Pool"
–ProfileDBName "RESTORED_ProfileDB" –SocialDBName "RESTORED_SocialDB"
–ProfileSyncDBName "DOESNT_EXIST_YET_SyncDB"
New-SPProfileServiceApplicationProxy –ServiceApplication $upa –Name "User
Profile Service Application Proxy" –DefaultProxyGroup
Note the above command will create a fresh new SyncDB and reuse your
restored ProfileDB and SocialDB.

When completed, go in to the user profile service application and manually
recreate your synchronisation connection etc. and run a full sync.
The benefit of this approach is after you're done you should have your user
profile data from production restored into your new environment :)

I also restore the My Site content db from prod as as a seperate step as
well.

If your having dramas creating this, the above probably won't fix any of
your issues :(

Regards,

Sezai Komur
SharePoint Solutions Architect | SharePoint Server MVP
NEC IT Solutions