How are you implementing validation?  Data annotations, or manually?  If
you're using Silverlight 4 and doing it manually, then Miguel's response is
probably best.  If you are using data annotations, then use the Validator
class to validate the selected item in the DataGrid.  But in Silverlight 3
+ manually, I think you're out of luck (I think, but don't know for sure in
terms of the DataGrid) - handling that sort of situation is just one of the
big problems with the exception based validation model as it was implemented
in Silverlight 2/3...

Chris