On Sunday, May 31, 2009 David Barrett wrote:
> Basically, if you plan on having even one critical component -- and
> Leviant suggested he was going to use it for "crypt key enrollment
> and user authentication" -- then you might as well have as many
> central components as are helpful.

True enough.

Though there is always also another approach - gradual P2P rollout.
Once you deploy your system with centralized components, you might
as well utilize your now-relatively-idle programmers to deploy the
fully decentralized solution during the regular software upgrades.

That will keep them busy and happy, and since you probably won't be
shut down immediately after launch, it will give you a time window to
get prepared to the eventualities without compromising the initial
deployment schedule. As a matter of fact, I seem to recall some P2P
service (Kazaa?) doing that: it was using the central server for some
purpose (upgrades or whatever), but if it was down for some extended
period of time, the clients regarded this as an attack on the network
and irreversibly switched themselves to a fully autonomous mode, not
accessing the central server ever again. At that point they lost the
functionality provided by this server, whatever it was - I could not
quickly find the source of this info as I was typing this answer -
but the network itself stayed intact, albeit with some functionality
limited or fully switched to P2P at that point.

Though my memory is shaky on this subject - I cannot even recall whether
it was Kazaa or some other network. Maybe someone can remember what I'm
talking about and provide a better description...

Best wishes -
S.Osokine.
31 May 2009.