=========== HICSS 43 CFP ===========
Distributed Systems for Ubiquitous Computing
Software Technology Track Mini-Track
CALL FOR PAPERS
Forty-third Annual
Hawaii International Conference of Systems Science
(HICSS-43)
January 5-8, 2010
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort and Spa

Computers of all shapes, sizes, power and functionality are becoming
ubiquitous. This ubiquity is an unstoppable market force placing
computation in nearly every aspect of our lives, and more and more of
these systems have Internet connectivity, and thus, the possibility of
communicating with one another. We are standing on a threshold that,
when crossed, will leave each of us at least virtually always connected
to Internet services, be it our set top box or satellite receiver
downloading videos; wearable computers; the alarm systems in our homes
sending alerts and streaming video to our preferred hand-held device; an
RFID scanner reading our passports, or a chip embedded beneath our skin,
and comparing the read data to a global data base. The rapid deployment
of ubiquitous systems will surely outpace a careful examination of the
effect this deployment may have on nearly all aspects of our everyday
lives. Central to these examinations is surely the "Pandora's Box" of an
individual's privacy.

Whether it's one of Howard Rheingold's smart mobs, a home security
system, a sensor network, a RFID based shopping checkout system, city
wide video surveillance, or each of us using our personal devices, this
is potentially hundreds of millions of devices connected to the
Internet. Taking this into account with the vulnerability of even the
most secure systems to Internet hackers, and thus, the concomitant
magnification of the potential loss of personal information, we can no
longer say, deploy it because it is cool technology.

Can we design our ubiquitous devices, the networks and the distributed
systems that they use to address the above issues? Can, in fact, the
Internet transport protocols of the 1970's and 1980's in spite of their
evolution still be retrofitted to do the tasks ubiquitous computing will
demand of them? How does one guarantee the Quality Assurance of these
systems and services, as well as their Quality of Service? Will, in
fact, user anonymity be possible, it is always desirable in some
cultures, given this ubiquity? Such systems present a formidable
challenge and this mini-track will be open to exploring both the
research, design and deployment aspects of building systems to meet this
challenge.

The topics in this mini-track include but are not limited to the
following as they apply to Distributed Systems for Ubiquitous Computing:

- Securing Distributed Services in the Internet
- Identity Management and single-sign-on
- Secure Overlay Networks
- Secure wireless, Ad-hoc Networks
- Platforms for the deployment of ubiquitous Internet services
- Autonomic Computing
- Ubiquitous and Pervasive Computing, Everyware
- Peer-to-peer Computing
- Live and On-demand Content Streaming
- Sensor networks (Wearable, Ambient, etc.)
- Geo-localization, User Presence, Availability, and Locality
- Q/A and QoS in large, distributed networks
- The Ubiquitous Home and the Internet of Things
- The Internet connected automobile
- Systems enabling Unified Device-to-Device communication
- Ubiquitous Entertainment and Work
- Social and Ethical issues
- Privacy, Security and Governance

Important deadlines:

 From now to June 1: Prepare Abstracts. Authors may contact mini-track
chairs for guidance and appropriateness of content.

June 15: Submit full manuscripts for review. The review is double-blind;
therefore this submission must be without author names.

Aug 15: Acceptance notices are emailed to authors by the Review System.
(Make sure your server accepts the address.) At least one author of each
accepted paper must immediately make plans to attend the conference,
including initiating fiscal, visa, or other travel guarantees.

Sept 15: Accepted authors submit Final Paper. At least one author of
each paper should register by this date. This is the Early Registration
fee deadline.

New Date! Oct 15: Papers without at least one registered author will be
deleted from the Proceedings; authors will be so notified by the
Conference Office.

Please see the HICSS43 homepage for more information:

http://www.hicss.hawaii.edu/HICSS_43/

Note the authors' instructions link on the above home page.

Mini-track Chairs:

William J. Yeager (Primary Contact)
Semi-Retired
Formerly of Stanford University and Sun Microsystems
Email: byea...@fastmail.fm <mailto:byea...@fastmail.fm>

Ali Ghodsi
KTH/Royal Institute of Technology and Swedish Institute of Computer
Science (SICS)
Email: a...@sics.se <mailto:a...@sics.se>

Jean-Henry Morin
University of Geneva
Email: jean-henry.mo...@unige.ch <mailto:jean-henry.mo...@unige.ch>

Program Committee (preliminary list)

Claudio Sartori, University of Bologna, Italy
Sonia Bergamaschi, Universita' di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Italy
Thiemo Voight, Swedish Institute of Computer Science, Sweden
Alberto Montresor, University of Trento, Italy
Manolis Koubarakis, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Grece
Mark Jelasity, Hungarian Acad. Sci. and University of Szeged, Hungary
Zoran Despotovic, Docomo Euro-labs, Germany
Janko Mrsic-Flogel, CTO, Mirriad, Ltd, UK
Rita Yu Chen, Ventio Technology, USA
Luca Cavaglione, CNR, ISSIA, Italy
Rolf Stadler, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden
Seif Haridi, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden