On 18 June 2010 01:45, David Barrett <dbarr...@quinthar.com> wrote:
<snip>
> I wonder if it could get even higher
> seeder ratios purely through leveraging community generosity, without
> bothering with all the complexity of a byte currency?

I agree with your analysis 100%.

The purpose of the currency in robonobo is not to enforce
seeder:leecher ratios, but rather to allocate bandwidth within the
swarm.  It allows a node to say to the swarm (in effect) 'I want to
receive this stream at 32 KB/s' and to have a realistic hope of
getting it.  Quality of Service within an uncontrolled p2p network, if
you will.  The bids from downloader to uploader don't just count
towards a ratio-like system, they feed into the congestion control
algorithm of the (very) TCP-like transport layer protocol.

We use this bandwidth allocation to produce real-time streaming - in
the case of music, a 'spotify-like' user experience.

The currency system does also prevent freeloading, but this is just a
free side-effect of the bandwidth allocation.