On Thu, Dec 09, 2010 at 03:35:21AM +0000,
 Michael Rogers <m...@gmx.com> wrote
 a message of 46 lines which said:

> In other words: who needs DNS if we have reliable search engines and
> HIP? How many domain names do you type per day anyway?

DNS is not a discovery service (search engines are better for
that). It is a naming and mapping service, with stable names.

The fact that you type names or not is irrelevant. To send this
message, I did not type 'p2p-hackers@lists.zooko.com', I just replied
to your email. Nevertheless, I relied on the DNS to be sure it is sent
to the proper machine, without fuzzy matching and without long
explorations of possible results (and subsequent questions to the
sender).