On 01/23/2011 10:21 AM, Julian Cain wrote:
>> On 01/23/2011 09:51 AM, Valerio Schiavoni wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> related to the recently discussed topic of nat traversal, there is the
>>> topic of nat discovery:
>>> being able to detect behind which kind of NAT a peer is sitting.
>>>
>>> Although some solutions exist, they all rely on the existence of
>>> servers used for this sole purpose.
>>>
>>> What are the best practices in this regard ?
>>> How are you currently detecting  your NAT type ?
>>> Can it be done in a purely decentralized fashion ?
>
> Of course, we do it in RELOAD(p2psip-base) and it works very well.

How well is "very well"?  If you don't mind sharing, what's the largest
real-world RELOAD deployment, and what fraction of nodes that attempted
to establish a direct connection were in fact able to do so?  (Based on
hard data from live testing, not estimates.)  I haven't followed p2psip
for a couple years, I'm eager to hear how it's progressed!

-david