And yet you mention in paper that only 50% of combinations
actually occur in practice :)

I arrived at my classification working backwards compared to
you. I was sitting and sifting through the NAT discovery logs,
trying to group results into a set of classes. After few
iterations in a course of several months, I had five classes,
two of which had two additional (boolean) parameters, and the
traversal logic was built around this set. I suspect that if
the impossible 50% is eliminated from the table and adjacent
entries are collapsed, it might end up being the same set of
classes.

> On top of that, the paper outlines how to carry
> out hole punching in each specific combination of NAT types
> (NAT type A against NAT type B). Although many details are
> omitted in the document due to space constraints, the
> description is probably enough for people to start implement
> state of the art NAT traversal logic in their p2p
> applications. Results from our test network show that the
> connection establishment success rate is very high using this
> model (~ 90%).

Can I ask how wide spread was your client base? When I first
launched Hamachi it was getting over 97% of p2p connectivity,
which frankly was way way more than I ever hoped for. But
then the app started to see adoption outside of North America
and the rate started dropping. There was a clear effect of
(funny enough) Italy and few Asian countries on an average
traversal rate. I wonder if you have noticed anything similar.

Alex