On Jan 29, 2011, at 12:12 AM, Alex Pankratov wrote:

> [...]

You are totally correct, at the time we published our results we had only
observed 50% of the possible combinations. As of now however, the stats
show that most of the types are indeed present in our test network ( 24 over
27).

> I arrived at my classification working backwards compared to
> you. I was sitting and sifting through the NAT discovery logs,
> trying to group results into a set of classes. After few
> iterations in a course of several months, I had five classes,
> two of which had two additional (boolean) parameters, and the
> traversal logic was built around this set. I suspect that if
> the impossible 50% is eliminated from the table and adjacent
> entries are collapsed, it might end up being the same set of
> classes.

I'm not sure that is the case, we did not start our NAT classification from
scratch,
a good deal of the types explained in the paper (21 over 27) have been observed
and
classified by others in the field:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4787.txt
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-takeda-symmetric-nat-traversal-00.txt

What we did, for the discovery/classification at least, was to bring together
bits and pieces of
the state of art and integrate it with other types we had observed in our test
network.

The real contribution of the paper instead lies in demonstrating theoretically
and
practically which traversal technique should be used in each one of the
combinations.

>> On top of that, the paper outlines how to carry
>> out hole punching in each specific combination of NAT types
>> (NAT type A against NAT type B). Although many details are
>> omitted in the document due to space constraints, the
>> description is probably enough for people to start implement
>> state of the art NAT traversal logic in their p2p
>> applications. Results from our test network show that the
>> connection establishment success rate is very high using this
>> model (~ 90%).
>
> Can I ask how wide spread was your client base?

Our client base is made of a couple of thousands hosts located Sweden at the
moment,
as we haven't deployed our products in other countries yet.
It would be interesting to test our solution on a "planetary" scale. I wonder
if people would
be willing to participate in such experiments such as NAT types data collection
and automated
testing to improve our NAT traversal library when we will release it (the NAT
discovery software
will be out in the next days).

> When I first
> launched Hamachi it was getting over 97% of p2p connectivity,
> which frankly was way way more than I ever hoped for. But
> then the app started to see adoption outside of North America
> and the rate started dropping. There was a clear effect of
> (funny enough) Italy and few Asian countries on an average
> traversal rate. I wonder if you have noticed anything similar.
>
> Alex

As you said, connectivity success rate might vary very much from country to
country, we are quite
confident that good connectivity can be achieved even when
difficult-to-traverse NATs are present,
since one third of our customers are indeed behind "corporate" NATs, which are
known to be very
cumbersome to deal with. Italy is a good example of that, most of people having
good bandwidth
are in the Fastweb network, which is a giant private network with a multi-level
NAT infrastructure.
(I'm a former customer of that ISP).

Regards,
Roberto