Thanks Roger!  As for a "solid alternative", I'm just curious for
different approaches to the problem.

Specifically, it strikes me that Tor is limited by a much larger demand
than supply for routers, and my initial instinct would be for an
alternative protocol to make *all* nodes route -- a sort of
"tit-for-tat" routing architecture.

For example, lets say you and I both want to anonymize our traffic: with
NAT penetration, we can help each other (I bounce my traffic off of you,
and you do the same).  If that could be achieved, then the number of
routers scales with the number of clients.

I'm sure there are all sorts of different tradeoffs that make it more or
less suitable for different applications.

-david