The point I was trying to make on the thread I started about a global
distributed datastore is that I thought modeling the system in terms of
probabilities is a better approach than trying to enforce a systemwide
currency that gives exact tit-for-tat measurements.

When you don't have any guarantees of SLA when you "purchase" things with
some virtual currency, what is it actually worth? I think a better approach
is to cryptographically log the behavior of various participants in the
system in order to automatically make judgments about them and how reliable
you expect them to be.

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 3:15 PM, Jon Cox <j...@experiments.com> wrote:

>  Dear p2p-hackers,
>
>  After thinking about the similarities between the commons issues
>  faced by the PaulGardner-Stephen's Serval project & Zooko's Tahoe
>  LAFS, I was motivated try (yet again!) to refine my understanding
>  of currency systems, barter and money.
>
>  I'd like some help!
>
>  These concepts seem to have direct bearing on problems that arise
>  when bootstrapping new users into a p2p/mesh system, trust, credit,
>  fairness protocols & so on, yet I lack a standard terminology for
>  talking about them in a precise way.
>
>  First, I'd like to share a speculation:
>
>      My guess is that it would be best if Tahoe LAFS computed all
>      credits and debits in terms of its native "commodity currencies"
>      (this term is defined below) like storage, availability, bandwidth,
>      latency, and priority, and then possibly mapped these things
>      to other currencies via forward contracts in a fairly pluggable
>      manner.
>
>      While Bitcoins might be interesting as one of several possible
>      side-channels to establish "credit" for the system's own native
>      currencies when dealing with non-boostrapped strangers, or for
>      those who would otherwise hit their "debt ceiling", I'm hoping
>      that friends could still offer credits for "native" commodities
>      denominated as such *directly*, without needing to think about
>      a fluctuating 3rd-party / non-native currency abstraction.
>

>  That said, here's my first shot at defining a few terms, along with
>  a note to the Serval project that may be of more general interest:
>

>  o  Benefit
>        That which produces a net increase
>        in some desired state of being.
>
>  o  Intrinsic value
>        Non-bartered perceived benefit.
>
>  o  Value
>        Optimally bartered perceived benefit.
>
>  o  Money
>        The mathematical abstraction of value
>        Note: this can be a positive or negative quantity.
>
>  o  Currency
>        The concrete manifestation of money.
>        Note: currency always has a non-negative value.
>
>        Example: physical dollars & coins.
>
>  o  Pure liability
>        Something of negative value that isn't the result
>        of owing anybody something.
>
>        Example: an inadequate reputation
>
>  o  Debt
>        A liability resulting from owing something of
>        positive value to another party.
>
>  o  Pure asset
>        Positive value that isn't the result of someone owing you.
>
>        Example: good health.
>
>  o  Credit
>        A liability that another party owes to you and recognizes.
>
>  o  Commodity currency
>        Some fungible good or service that is easy measurable
>        and comparable, transferable and transportable,
>        sufficiently divisible and durable, widely bartered
>        with known rates of exchange, and derives its value
>        from its intrinsic usefulness rather than its role
>        as a currency or as an item of speculation predicated
> [...]

Tony Arcieri