Oh interesting, so it's attacking the DHT layer in addition to the
Torrent layer?  Clever!

In the torrent layer, any individual torrent client is able to
gradually weed out bad actors by identifying slow transfer speeds
and/or high rates of hash mismatches.  But I'm not familiar with the
details of the public torrent DHT -- do individual nodes have any
protections in place to identify and ignore bad nodes?

Like every other P2P topic I imagine this scenario was comprehensively
discussed over a decade ago; what is the optimal response to this
attack?

Though I imagine the cost to wage this attack is greater than the
benefit obtained, so the most likely (and most effective) response is
probably "do nothing".

-david