-----邮件原件-----
发件人: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] 代表 Michael Rogers
发送时间: 2006年3月8日 16:36
收件人: Peer-to-peer development.
主题: Re: [p2p-hackers] clustering

Gary Jefferson wrote:
> Just a general question for the list: DHTs don't exhibit small-world
> characteristics, at least not in the overlay network view of things,
> right?

That depends on your definition of 'small world'. Most people take it to mean short paths and high clustering, but as far as I know the Freenet work uses a more specific definition due to Jon Kleinberg: a graph is a small world if it can be embedded in a metric space such that the length of the edges follows a power law distribution, where the magnitude of the power law exponent is equal to the number of dimensions in the metric space[1]. Kleinberg showed that greedy routing in such a graph is efficient, but if the power law exponent has any other value then greedy routing is inefficient[2,3]. However, it's also possible that the length distribution doesn't follow a power law at all (eg Chord, where the length distribution is exponential and greedy routing is efficient).

Most DHTs aren't small worlds in the sense used in the Freenet work; Symphony[4] is an exception.

Cheers,
Michael

[1]
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/kleinber/nips14.ps