Daniel: You are right on Chord. Thanks for pointing that out.

Michael: No universally accepted definition of the scale-free network is
available now. The definition of "scale-free metric" does not require a
power-law degree distribution, but that's 99% the case in available research
and you can say it's the only case that matters. Some deviation in real life
case is reported (as the degree cannot grow ultimately)[1].

Many DHTs provide good connectivity but do not require global visibility,
and usually there's not much need in adding it. We do not really care if
it's scale free or not, we only care if we can find what we want. Under
current condition you cannot really  feel the difference when you're in this
part of the overlay network or another, there's no way to measure.

But sometimes you do want to connect to certain nodes more than others. Then
starting at a random point and having no idea of the whole picture, how to
find the right part you belong quickly? This does not always mean global
visibility is required, though that does settle the problem. There could be
other approaches,  esp. when the network is large and decentralized. So it's
not only a matter of join and stay somewhere, but choose the right cluster
as well. Could we call this "heuristic clustering"? Again, the question fall
back to the very first one: who do you call as your 'relatives' and how to
ask for them from your current neighbors?

[1] http://www.santafe.edu/research/publications/workingpapers/01-03-021.pdf
--
Ranus Yue
Tsinghua University