On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 10:20:02AM -0800, Serguei Osokine wrote:
>       You mean you did not expect to grow Dijjer and Freenet beyond
> 512K nodes before you'd have to replace all the client code? With
> today's P2P network sizes it might be a good idea to have the code
> that would be ready to scale into high millions at least - you never
> know when you might need it... :-)

Most users upgrade their software within 2 months [1], so replacing
all the client code actually isn't that hard.  I'm assuming the
network is robust enough to keep working if a small percentage of
clients have the old code.

[1] = based on measurements of LimeWire Ultrapeer users.  Amir
H. Rasti, Daniel Stutzbach, Reza Rejaie, "On the Long-term Evolution
of the Two-Tier Gnutella Overlay", to appear at the Global Internet
Symposium 2006.

--
Daniel Stutzbach                           Computer Science Ph.D Student
http://www.barsoom.org/~agthorr                     University of Oregon