I think for the purposes of this conversation, around 70% will be more than sufficient (although without further thought I am not sure exactly how scalability in a small world network is affected by having variable numbers of links among nodes).

Ian.

On 20 Mar 2006, at 10:33, Greg Bildson wrote:

Define "most".  If you mean more than 70% (not sure of the exact
percentage), I would have to disagree.

Thanks
-greg

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:p2p-hackers- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of Daniel Stutzbach
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 1:29 PM
To: Peer-to-peer development.
Subject: Re: Dijjer and Freenet (RE: [p2p-hackers] clustering)

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 10:20:02AM -0800, Serguei Osokine wrote:
        You mean you did not expect to grow Dijjer and Freenet beyond
512K nodes before you'd have to replace all the client code? With
today's P2P network sizes it might be a good idea to have the code
that would be ready to scale into high millions at least - you never
know when you might need it... :-)

Most users upgrade their software within 2 months [1], so replacing
all the client code actually isn't that hard.  I'm assuming the
network is robust enough to keep working if a small percentage of
clients have the old code.

[1] = based on measurements of LimeWire Ultrapeer users.  Amir
H. Rasti, Daniel Stutzbach, Reza Rejaie, "On the Long-term Evolution
of the Two-Tier Gnutella Overlay", to appear at the Global Internet
Symposium 2006.

--
Daniel Stutzbach Computer Science Ph.D Student http://www.barsoom.org/~agthorr University of Oregon