Hi everyone,

Having lurked on this list for some time, I discern an interesting
trend. There is a lot of hype around small world networks. They have
a catchy name. And they are easy to code up. But they have terrible
performance. I suspect most people who work on small worlds are
either theoreticians who don't care about performance, or innumerate
people caught up in the hype. Who wants O(log^2 N) performance?
Did I really see simulations talking about 40+ hops? Are these people
serious ? Do they not understand the difference between 5 hops and 25?
6 and 36?

Those of you who are puzzled by phase transitions ought to read Karp's
paper "The Transitive Closure of a Random Digraph," Random Structures
and Algorithms, Vol. 1, No. 1 (1990). He shows that you need log N
edges per node on average to keep a random graph connected.  While
at it, one might as well read a recent P2P paper on O(log N),
O(d N ^ 1/d) or even O(1) systems. Why would anyone want to
reinvent a crappier wheel ?

Bob.